Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A toast to klutziness!

Over the years, I've had some klutzy moments. Even now, I routinely bang my head on the cupboards in my kitchen (to be fair I moved in February and they are kind of low hanging!). Then there was tripping over wire hurdles at 6am in college (and then there was the morning that I lost it and yelled at coach for giving me a hard time!)

I think that over the years I've gotten a bit better and a bit more balanced (can't quite say that I'm graceful). This weekend I had a visit from the klutz fairy, just to remind me of my roots.

On Sunday night, Shimon, a friend of his and I went to cross a road. Granted we were jaywalking, but it was night and the road was not busy. Shimon was a bit in front of me, looked back to grab my hand and BOOM! Suddenly I was on the ground having tripped over a low barrier in the middle of the street. My hand came out pretty unscathed, but my knee... OUCH! To explain myself, the barriers in Japan are usually made of concrete and are not difficult to make out since the roads are asphalt. This one, however, was a black asphalt barrier with a white line painted on it! I just totally missed that there was a barrier because it was camouflaged.

While my injuries are not in any way life-threatening... I'm still a bit chagrined over the incident. Also, it provides Shimon with plenty of fodder for future jokes. Here here to the klutz!

2 comments:

Em said...

Thank you for the reminder of morning practices. Fun, fun!

Alisha said...

Glad that I could bring back some memories. I wish I had a picture of the divider that I tripped over on Sunday! It was totally camouflaged. :-)