Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The last few weeks...

The last few weeks have been an absolute roller coaster, as many of you might imagine. March 11th, Eastern Japan was rocked by a 9.0 magnitude earthquake - the 4th strongest quake recorded since 1900. The tsunami that struck North Eastern Japan following the quake has wiped several towns and cities off the map. All that's left is pile after pile of rubble. The death toll is over 10,000 and there are still many thousands of people missing.

Add that to the nuclear reactor that was damaged only after the 4th largest earthquake recorded and a tsunami took a swing at it and we've had an interesting few weeks. For the record, I'm safe. I took a long weekend a week or so ago to visit my fiancees family (far away from the center of the action!) and came back to Yokohama and Tokyo a bit refreshed. The exaggerated reports of evacuations and huge levels of contamination are simply not true. If they were I probably would not have returned to the Tokyo area.

Then add all that to the fact that I still have a wedding to plan! July is not getting any further away and I have decisions to make, presents to buy and cakes to approve. Needless to say I've been feeling a distinct lack of motivation. Planning a wedding seems so frivolous when faced with daily reports and videos of the devastation up north.

I have made a few decisions... I have a cake! :-) Yeah, I guess a few was exaggerating... I made one big decision since the earthquake!

I'm hoping to find my wedding mojo soon... there's still a lot to plan and I'm pretty integral to most of it. 

On a different note... if people reading this feel like donating to the recovery effort in Japan there are a lot of places you can do that. If you have the money, I would strongly encourage you to donate. The recovery is going to be a long uphill process.

Thanks!

No comments: