Wednesday, October 18, 2006

More from that trip to Shonai!

Hey there... so awhile ago I promised some pics from that last trip I made to Shonai. And what a trip it was!! I got to see Chisato (don't have any pictures, sorry!!) and Hayashi-sensei. She's my Japanese mom (Lauren can vouch for that!!). And she totally takes care of me any time I'm in Sakata (as she did once again!!).
While I was in Sakata, Hayashi took me on a really cool walk around Sakata... the weather was gorgeous (it had rained non-stop since I'd gotten up there) and so we went for a really nice walk... and I discovered a whole new side of Sakata!
I lived 25 minutes from Sakata for 3 years and had never been to the rice warehouses!! Crazy... so Hayashi and I walked from her house down to the warehouses... and I got some nice omiyage (edible souvenir) for my host family.

Next, Hayashi and I in Hiyoriyama Park in Sakata... that ship behind us is a replica of the ships that took rice from Sakata to Kyoto... back in the day. Fun, eh???

Who knew that Sakata had it's own pagoda?? I sure didn't... not until Hayashi took me to what Sakata folks call otera machi (temple town). There were tons of temples/shrines (I didn't take pictures of them all...). But how cool is this?? I only thought Haguro had a pagoda!

This is the torii at Hiyoriyama Park... well at the shrine near there... I can't remember the name. But look how cool it looks!?! And you can just tell it was a beautiful day! And it really, really was. :-)

Lastly, a bit of humor...


So... I really like manju (sweet cakey thing)... and usually they're just serving size... enough to go with some coffee or tea. Yum-o!! Well... this is the FREAKING BIGGEST MANJU ever!! Holy cow!! It's the size of a saucer... and Hayashi cut it like a cake!! It was crazy!! So... I had to share this picture... she thought it was terribly amusing that I took this picture in the first place. Haha!! Anyway... hope you enjoyed the pictures... let me know!!

love,

alisha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I only found that pagoda this year!

Can't believe you had never been to the rice warehouses though! Slacker!