Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pumpkin muffins...

This morning one of my pregnancy apps had a recipe for pumpkin muffins as a good source of vitamins during pregnancy. Well, they sounded so nice (and easy!) that I had to give the recipe a try.

Problems that I faced?? No muffin pan! Also, no canned pumpkin. And... last, no dried ginger! However, this did not deter me. First of all... if Amy has taught me via her blog is that you can rearrange recipes to fit the implements that you have! So, I decided to make a muffin-like cake with one of my rectangular pans (smaller than 9x13, but not sure the size...).

One thing that is quite nice about living in Japan is that in the fall there's lots of "pumpkins" to be had. Now, Japanese pumpkins don't look ANYTHING like their American counterparts, they look like this instead. So, I picked up a quarter of a pumpkin up at the store (one from Mexico, funnily enough!) and decided that I could steam and mash it for the muffin-cake.

It came out AWESOME! There was lots of cinnamon and nutmeg in the recipe and I improvised on the ginger by using oroshi ginger... it's more or less mushed up and mixable ginger. The ginger is great for sauces and dressings and things.

And the final result??

Seriously dangerous! I will probably freeze some for snacks later... and to prevent me from eating too much of it before Saturday (aka next doctors appointment).

Now that I know how well my oven does with baking... I will baking much more in the future. I just haven't found a recipe that was easy enough that I wanted to try! :-)
.

2 comments:

Em said...

I made pumpkin muffins this week, too! I also used a real pumpkin, but I DID have a muffin pan.

Alisha said...

I wish I had a muffin pan... But I have a lot of other pans and not a lot of space, so I guess I'll be making muffin-like cakes for awhile! :-)