Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sleep Training Fail

Last week, after having read a number of articles and book sections about it, I tried a tiny bit of "sleep training" or at least scheduling. Yeah, that SO didn't work!

My idea wasn't all that strict. It wasn't like I wanted Touma to sleep right at 10:30am or that I wanted him in bed right after bath time at 8:30pm. Nope, I thought that getting him down between 10:30am and 11:00am or so would be fine. For his second nap, sometime between 3pm and 4pm would be fine. And then bed time whenever he fell asleep after his bath. Pretty flexible sounding, right?

I think that the moment I decided to try scheduling, Touma knew it and foiled my attempts. Last week he woke up more than he had in weeks! Going from sleeping through the night on occasion to waking two or even three times a night. Not good for mommy's sleep that's for sure.

So, I gave up. Sleep scheduling or training isn't right for us now. Will it be sometime?? Maybe. Maybe not. All I know is that I need a certain amount of sleep to function and I did not get it last week.

Parenting is all about trial and error, right?

3 comments:

Em said...

It's my opinion that even the words "sleep training" are a fail. It never worked for us. Ever. Our girls are not good sleepers as little ones, and that just appears to be the bottom line in this house. We do what works for us, and you should do what works for you and your family. There is no "right way."

Alisha said...

Thanks, Em!! I got sucked in by all the articles talking about what should be going on at four months. Silly me... On another note, can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!!

Katharine said...

parenting is indeed all about trial and error. And learning not to believe everything you read ;o) Never mind those silly people telling you what your baby should be doing at 4 months...he's doing just dandy!!!