Friday, July 23, 2010

Beating the heat... !?!?!?!?!?

I'm still new to this "hot" climate business. Though it gets hot in Alaska, especially in Fairbanks. It's not the oppressive, tiring, sweat-soaked heat of hot PLUS humid climates.

My first experience with REAL heat (the hot and humid kind) was when I moved to Missouri to attend university. They are not messin' around there! There is a need for the heat index when you live in a place with heat and humidity.

I now find myself in a place that is at least equally as hot and humid as Missouri. There are bigger problems now. There is no central air in Japan. Correction, no central air in homes in Japan. Also, there is so much asphalt and so little greenery that it feels like you are baking from above and below when you are outside. (Thus, I really try to limit my outside time.)

I am such an amateur at beating the heat that I need some serious help! Does anyone have any idea how you can still enjoy sunny days, without being miserable and baked from the heat? Any ideas would be VERY helpful! :-)

2 comments:

Em said...

1. Wear your hair up high, messy bun works well. You don't want hair touching your neck/forhead.

2. Carry around a small squirt bottle of water and spray yourself once in a while. Evaporative cooling. Aaaahhhh ...

3. Go to parks with big trees.

4. Leave town.

Alisha said...

Thanks, Em!! I like your ideas. And I've been loving your Montana summer blogs. I'm so jealous!!