Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Great KENDO!!

So, I've been a bit apprehensive about kendo in Amarume lately... mostly because I've just been sick of the students. (Not something I say very often...) But last night, I remembered why I LOVE kendo!

I got to kendo, got changed and put on my bogu. My buddy Mayuko showed up (YAY!!) and then Shinko-sensei and her daughter, Mami also walked in. I haven't been able to work with Shinko-sensei in ages, so that was great! Also, Kazuki... who is legendary in Amarume... was there. He makes me nervous... because he's so good and I'm crap. Plus, he's really gorgeous! (eeek...)

So, I got warmed up... was feeling, if not quite perfectly on, pretty good. Got to go through the works with Mayuko (tired), then Shinko-sensei (very tired)... then I was sitting there trying to decide who to go up against next, when Kazuki walked over and motioned to follow him. EEEEEK!!

Aside, now Kazuki is about 6'1". I haven't practiced with anyone that tall before... that made me nervous... and then, just the fact that it was him made me nervous.

So... I did men-uchi (smacked him on the middle of his head) once... he gave me a bit of advice (found a way that actually strengthens my left hand-hold on my shinai)... then I had another go. And another... and then he gave me the most useful advice yet... he said, "when you hit men-uchi you want to pretend like you're splitting my head in half, cutting it from the top to the chin..." And that illustration just made things click. I had an ah-ha moment!! Yay!!

So... what next?? Lots and lots and lots of practice!!! Because I finally have some things sorted in my head! Yay.

Sorry if this is awfully boring... but you know what? Last night was great... totally exciting and exhilirating!! Lately I've had a bit of apathy toward my kendo practice... but last night just made it all new and exciting again. :-)

No comments: