Friday, September 09, 2005

I'm a GIT!!

I meant to write this past weekend up AGES ago... but did I manage to?? NOPE! Of course not. So, there you have it... I'm a git. ;-)

Last Saturday, I went to the annual Okinawan Festival in Kapiolani Park. Which is a really nice park down near Waikiki. It was SO fun!! My friend Shannah and I met up with Hiroki and a couple of his friends (Akiko and Shige) and took the bus down there. The weather was hot and sunny... and when we got to the Festival the food was smelling SO good!!

So, what could you have?? Tons!! You could have pigs feet soup... which is a pretty famous dish from Okinawa. You could also have Okinawan soba (SO good! That's what I had for lunch!), yaki-soba and all sorts of other festival foods. Yummy!

After we had all stuffed ourselves with yummy food... we headed to the stage to watch some of the performers. We saw some amazing Okinawan drummers and a group that came all the way from Okinawa to perform... those were the highlights for me! I want to learn how to whistle like the guys from Okinawa!!

THEN after all that... we went and watched, and then, participated in the Bon dance. It was all the girls from the pictures... we decided to go dance... and since the guys didn't have any interest in dancing... they watched our stuff!! Haha... none of us knew what we were doing, but we just joined in. We made friends with this nice man who looked like he knew what he was doing... and followed him through all the dances! :-)

The rest of the weekend was pretty tame... Shannah and I met up on Sunday to work on our Japanese oral exam stuff... then went for katsu don at a really great restaurant near my house!

This week has been really busy... I've had two tests (small) in Japanese... I have an essay test tomorrow in Japanese and then I have the main unit test on Monday. EEEEK!! I'm a little worried... but so far I feel like I understand everything... I'll have to study some of the grammar stuff a bit more, but other than that I feel good. It helps to have a great prof!! He speaks Japanese the entire time... UNLESS there's a possibility that we might misunderstand something in the Japanese. :-)

Anyway... I promise to be better about writing on my blog! I'll talk to you all soon...

A

No comments: