Wednesday, January 12, 2005

What to do when you feel particularly stupid...

I think I need help answering that one... I just went through a bunch of arithmetic problems on a GRE prep site. Hmmmm... I thought arithmetic was that stuff we did back in grade school... and once upon a time I was quite good at that. Something has happened between 6th grade and now... I've become a math DUMMY! I feel really stupid when I can't read the problems correctly (yup, I mixed up some of the letters... oh, and even managed to miss that one of the Ys was actually an exponent!). ARGH!! Woe is me... I feel like a big idiot.

And the thing is, I don't see it getting all that much better. In fact, once I move on to the subjects I'm supposed to be good at (reading, writing, words...), I'll be more depressed. I've been in Japan so long that the finely tuned vocabulary that I once possessed (well, finely tuned for an undergrad anyway...) has gone missing. Yes, working in Japan has robbed me of my ability to speak English. You think I'm joking... haha! My Japanese has gotten ever so much better... but my English, wow... that's something to be concerned about. When tired, I have a hard time piecing together coherent sentences... let alone completely analogies for a standardized graduate entrance exam!! Eeeeeek! Anyway... thought I'd have a mini-moan about all that.

In good news... I filled out and submitted my online application for the University of Hawaii... I have to send out a few more requests for random documents... transcripts, etc. I have to read through my writing samples... I've finished my Personal Statement though. My best friend, Melissa (the toughest editor ever), has approved it... so it must be decent enough.

Anyway... I leave you with this rambling blog... hope all's well... I'm going to bed! (Does it mean I'm sad if my bed time's earlier than 10??)

No comments: