Monday, January 17, 2005

What you can learn from the kids...

Today I went to kindergarten. In short, I got to play with 36 four year old children. Now, the fact that these kids have more energy in their pinky finger than I have in my entire body... makes for a long morning (was only there from 9:30-1:00).

You know one thing I noticed though... how easily kids show affection. They're willing to jump up on you and give you a hug when you've walked in the door... they want to talk to you... tickle you...be in contact with you from the moment that you walk through the door. It takes months and sometimes years to form those kind of connections when you're an adult. Where is it written that when you grow up you have to forget all of the great social skills that kids have?

I haven't felt so uplifted in such a long time. Boy, am I glad that I teach junior high, elementary school and even on occasion, kindergarten... I might be wrong, but I don't think the high school ALTs get to have all the fun that I had today. Oh, and if a little kid called Tatsuya goes MIA any time soon... you know where he is! I fell in love with him today... and I think he was at least kind of smitten with me. Or at least I hope he was. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

High school rules!

Anonymous said...

well they might not get to play with little kids but their Kendo captain doesnt tell them to "go away" with his middle finger in the air.....like he just dont care