Saturday, June 18, 2005

Taikai - Day 1

Today was the first day of the big sports meet. In Japan they don't have sports seasons... instead ALL the teams prepare for a meet on one weekend in June. This weekend is the one!!
So, today... instead of choosing just ONE sport to watch I floated between 3 sports... kendo, track and gymnastics. Now, it was VERY easy to float between kendo and track... but for gymnastics I had to drive from Tsuruoka to Sakata. Which I decided was worth it because 4 of my FAVE students are gymnastics boys (forget the rhythmic gymnastics girls!! blah... give me tumbling any day!!).

The big hit on the day were my home-made spectator shirts!! I made one for Amarume and one for Tachikawa!! The one for Amarume had an inside joke in it... it has to do with how people say my last name in Japanese. My name in Japanese is "su-ma-i-su" which to some of my students sounds similar to " su-pa-i-su." So on the back of my Amarume shirt I put... Give me some SU-PA-I-SU (in Japanese!). My gymnastics boys were the ones who really got it... and had a good chuckle.

Anyway, it's bed time for bonzo as it's another big, busy day at the tournament tomorrow!

3 comments:

Em said...

okay, alisha, seriously ... HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO GO OVER THIS?! you REALLY have to interpret the japanese for "the rest of us" ... i speak about 10 words of spanish but ZERO japanese. really. zero. thus, su-pa-ri-su (is that what is was?) means NOTHING unless you also explain it in English. grrrr.

Anonymous said...

ummm Su-pa-i-su as in "spice" ... that WAS English silly :)

Em said...

doesn't sound like it to me.