Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Sunny Days...

Today is going down as one of my BEST days in Japan ever!! Even though I didn't teach a single class!

Yesterday when I was at elementary school one of the kyoto's said there was sports day... fastforward to today around 2nd period. BORED!!! So, I walked home, got on my bike and headed for the festivities! How fun... the kids were going nuts... and I got to see all sorts of little kids doing track events... and even joined in the cheering (Ike, ike, ike, ike yon sho!!) and took loads of silly pics. Then I went home for lunch, but decided to come back for the last events... the tug-o-war and the relays. My fave sho (shhhh, don't tell!!), 4sho, won the tug of war... and two of the four relays! WAHOO!!

During that time I was majorly distracted by two of my fave kids younger brother. He's 3 and has more energy than any kid I've ever seen!! I didn't mind chasing after him at all... was a pleasure.

Then I came back to junior high to finish the day... with a warm welcome from my boys (the student council pres included!)... I got into a conversation with about 10 of my boys about the color pink. Now this all came about because my track and field captain said they might be getting hats that color before the big meet next month. I expressed some distress at that point and had to settle on telling them that pink is a weak color to convey my meaning (I couldn't translate that pink makes me think of rainbows, unicorns and fluffy bunnies!!).

All in all the sports day and the talking with my kids today just made the day worth it! Hope you had a great day too!

1 comment:

Em said...

what's wrong with rainbows, unicorns, and fluffy bunnies? also, when was the last time you saw a PINK bunny ... i think they usually come in white, black, brown, spotted ...